Recovery Spring 2012

I had no idea how big this surgery would be. Soon after I was awake, I was rolled into my room where I was greeted with my mom, dad and Bob! It was good to see them, even if I felt like I had been run over by a truck!!

The next day I was able to see my kids and my dad before he had to head home. I was sad to see him go but so glad he had been there.  Every day I saw Bob and the kids. My mom and Mary headed home the day after my dad. Again I was sad to see her go, but so so thankful she came down and that Mary had brought her.

A couple of days after surgery I started getting very high fevers of 102-103. They gave me antibiotics while I was there and 6 days after surgery I went home. I was still having fevers but the dr. thought I would do better at home. I questioned him but he thought this was best.

A few days went by and I continued to have the fevers. I called the dr. a couple of times and after a week home, I was readmitted to the hospital. They did blood work and other tests to figure out where the infection was coming from.  At that point I was put on IV antibiotics and kept in the hospital for another 4 days.

After all the testing they never did figure out where the infection was coming from.  I went home with IV antibiotics for 10 more days. It was really neat, I learned how to flush, hook up and unhook the IV ball to myself. As the antibiotic did it's job I felt better but my wounds got bigger. I was in a lot of pain too. I had a nurse coming every other day or so to redress my wounds.

Finally my wounds were clean and free of infection, but it had taken it's toll on my body. I had very large open wounds in 3 areas. I was then hooked up to the wound vac. It started on my tummy first and then gradually moved up to both sides.  After 2 weeks on the vac there are HUGE improvements in the depth and size of my wounds. Things are healing very well. In less than 2 weeks one side should be totally closed up!! The bad part is I will probably have the vac into mid July or later. Not how I want to spend my summer but "It is what it is" and I know that God is going to get me through this part too.

My surgeon said that he will have to even out things with another surgery and put on the finishing touches, so to speak. He said in 6 months and I told him "No!" There is no way I am going back into surgery in 6 months. We will see how I feel about things next year!!

"Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all thy might." Deut 6:5
"In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Prov. 3:6

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kerri,
    What an ordeal you have been through! I am so glad things are on the mend. I sure do understand why you don't want another surgery for a long time...

    Praying for you. Thanks for the update.
    <><

    ReplyDelete