We had a wonderful summer vacation and I was still trying to heal and recover but it was amazing. You can check out my vacation blog!
We got home and were home a week or two when I started not feeling well. For about 3-4 weeks I was shuffled around to Drs and they all said it was just a virus inflammation in my chest wall. I finally called my plastic surgeon and discussed with him that some of the pain may be caused by scar tissue. At the same time he was going to take out my port as it appeared I was done with it. I saw him on a Wed and surgery was on Monday!
Everything went great and for a couple of days I felt great. I then was having a hard time breathing and thought maybe I was getting pneumonia from the surgery. Friday I went to a walk in clinic and the Dr there had me transported by ambulance to the hospital.
While I was at the hospital, in between tests, my surgeon called me. The pathology reports came back and one of the scar tissues that was removed was positive for the same strand of breast cancer as before. At first I sat there and then I cried and cried.
While I was in the ER they had to drain 1 1/2 liters off my 1 lung. They had to admit me as there was still a good amount of fluid in that lung.
Finally that night I was admitted to 8-1 which is the cancer floor of the hospital. It is a rather depressing floor, but the nurses are great!!! I loved mine!! I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and honestly it was mostly a blur as they had me on heavy pain meds. I did have a surgery where they drain the rest of the fluid and inserted talc to close the area between the outside of my lung to the pleura(thin lining that goes around your lung). This was so that the fluid couldn't build up there again from the tumors that had formed on the outside of my lungs. At the same time they put in a new port.
Speaking of the new port, it didn't even work!!! They had put it in angled or sideways or something!!! So they had to do another surgery and put a port back on the original side!!! UGH, but that isn't even the worst of it. It feels like they left the non-working port still in!!!
Finally they discharged me and on that day I had my first chemo treatment and had to go back the next day to get my nulasta shot. I forget what the shot does but I have to get it 24hrs after I finish chemo.
Once I was done I was released home.
Finally that night I was admitted to 8-1 which is the cancer floor of the hospital. It is a rather depressing floor, but the nurses are great!!! I loved mine!! I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and honestly it was mostly a blur as they had me on heavy pain meds. I did have a surgery where they drain the rest of the fluid and inserted talc to close the area between the outside of my lung to the pleura(thin lining that goes around your lung). This was so that the fluid couldn't build up there again from the tumors that had formed on the outside of my lungs. At the same time they put in a new port.
Speaking of the new port, it didn't even work!!! They had put it in angled or sideways or something!!! So they had to do another surgery and put a port back on the original side!!! UGH, but that isn't even the worst of it. It feels like they left the non-working port still in!!!
Finally they discharged me and on that day I had my first chemo treatment and had to go back the next day to get my nulasta shot. I forget what the shot does but I have to get it 24hrs after I finish chemo.
Once I was done I was released home.
Hi Kerrie,
ReplyDeleteOh NO!! This totally stinks! I will stand beside you in prayer and cover you hon. I see you are one very tough woman with an amazing attitude. You make these trials sound like a breeze, even though I know they are nothing more than a nightmare.
Praying for you!
<><